Thursday 12 March 2015

Kayaking at Ngamotu Beach


Activity Week Awesomeness

On Thursday 12th of March rooms 7,8 and 9 all went to Ngamotu beach for one of the activity week challenges.  First room 9 did sand sculpting, we had an hour and 10 minutes to make what ever we could put our epic brains to. There were lots of creative ideas like octopus, model of Taranaki, jet ski, a seaweed pizza and last but not least my favourite by a mile a four person couch, mini tv and a see-saw plus a phone.

Then after morning tea we went sand-boarding at black beach. It was really fun but leg aching pain fun.  There were lots of cool looking ways people went down on their boggie-boards like backwards, standing up, on your knees or just going face first.  Going down the hill was the easy part, getting back up the sandy hill was hard work, I almost felt like dying half way up the humongous hill.  After this mind blowing epic activity we caught the bus back to Ngamotu beach to go kayaking.

We all put our togs on and then raced to get a life jacket.  We got split into 4 teams, I was in team 2.  We had a team talk, then speed to get a kayak and later when we got onto the water we played a game that you had to capture the chocolate while someone kayaked away and someone had to try steal the chocolate off the back of the kayak.  After that we all got changed back into our clothes ready to go back on the bus, it was the best day ever!!!
by Isaac Barbour, Room 9
 
Kayaking
On Wednesday 11 March we went down to sandy Ngamotu beach on one of our days for amazing activity week.  Our last but my favourite activity was spectacular kayaking.
Kayaking was awesome!  We got into teams first, then we got into a comfortable single or double boat and we excitedly paddled out. Sometimes we had to ‘raft up’, which meant we had to hold all of your teams boats.  At the same time the loud instructors were giving out yummy sweets. I got one but I gave it to another boat. It was annoying because the weather turned from bad to worse and we had to come in. There was also a disgusting sewer leak, that was the worst part. But I still love kayaking and I hope I can get out there another time.
by Reuben

Kayaking at Ngamotu Beach

For activity week room 9 went to Ngamotu Beach for sand sculpting, sand boarding and
kayaking. I’m telling you about the kayaking. Room 9 went kayaking last. When we
got told what to do, we all got into groups and got a kayak. Some of those
kayaks were so BIG. I had trouble getting on my pink  DOUBLE kayak!
When the people helping us with the kayaks blew their whistle and shouted
“RAFT UP”, we all had to paddle as fast as you could to the people in your
group and get in a line. Everyone had to hold each others kayak and shout
for an example team 1 “TEAM 1 RAFT UP YEAH!” with an interesting
voice! When it started to rain chocolate was falling out of  a mans bag and in
the water. People would grab it! Later on when it was still raining pitter patter
brown sewage looking water came out of a rock (where I believe a pipe lived)
like a waterfall EWWW! In the end, all of your group had to get on 1 kayak only!
Then at the end I jumped off the kayak and ran as fast as could which was not
that fast, to shore shivering down my spine and everything, without my towel, just my
soaking wet and very sandy apple red school hat!
By Janaye :)


For Activity Week we went to Ngamotu Beach. On Thursday, Room 9, Room 8 and Room 7 went to Ngamotu beach. My class, Room 9 went kayaking. First we got given life jackets and then the instructors gave us the instructions and put us into groups. There were 4 groups, I was in group 1, my instructor was Andy. We had 10 people in my group, 2 girls and 8 boys. We first learnt how to raft up, it is when you have to get together with your group and all hold on to each other's kayak. Then we got started, I was on a double with my friend, Janaye. Then we got into the water. It was super hard for me because Janaye and I had to paddle at the same time, it was also hard for me because when my group had to raft up two people had to climb over all the kayaks and I also had to do it with someone. Then I was in a single kayak. At the end the kayaking session it started to rain and disgusting brown gungy liquid came out of the drain pipe. We also had to all get on 1 kayak and my group did it! But we didn't get chocolate :(. It was an awesome time at Ngamotu beach doing kayaking. It was the best activity for Activity Week.
Written by Kate

No comments: